I love Civilization. No, not human civilization. Human beings are assholes. I’m talking about the series of games from Sid Meier’s. I remember playing Civilization a bit, being completely engrossed in Civilization II and Civilization III, not having the time to truly immerse myself in Civilization IV, and cracking the fuck out on Civilization: Revolution. Civilization V comes out this September, and I am looking forward to it.
Civilization V brings many changes to the Civilization series:
- New game engine
- Hexagonal map, instead of the standard square tiles used to date
- Updated combat system allowing only one unit per tile
- Cities are given the ability to defend themselves
- Technology trading has been replaced with joint technological ventures. Two nations can co-operatively research a technology, reducing the cost and speed of development, with both nations receiving the benefits.
- Redesigned technology tree
- AI city-states are introduced. City-states will be small, independent nations that can either be allied with for resources, etc, or conquered.
- City growth speed has been reduced and difficulty has been increased
- Default movement speed has increased, as has firing distance for ranged units
New screenshots have emerged:
I’m excited. Aren’t you?
-[insert CANNON TO RIGHT OF THEM, CANNON TO LEFT OF THEM, CANNON IN FRONT OF THEM, VOLLEY’D AND THUNDER’D! here]