Last month, Psyonix released a trailer for the next major update to Rocket League and that is the Rumble update. Along with the new game mode, get ready for a couple more improvements, and an addition of a new way of unlocking gear coming later today!
The rumble update follows the Hoops and Mutator modes before it. Showing its in Private Matches, Online Playlists and Exhibition matches, things are going to get a little wacky. Featuring music from TheFatRat, get ready to play car soccer in a new way. Players will now have access to 11 randomized power-ups that will alter how you play this beloved title. This power-ups are:
- The Boot – Kicks an opponents car
- Disruptor – Forces the opponen to drive uncontrollable
- Freezer – Freezes the ball in-place
- Grappling Hook – Pulls you toward the ball
- Haymaker – Punches the ball
- Magnetizer – Attracts the ball to your car
- Plunger – Snaps the ball to your position
- Power Hitter – Hit everything harder
- Spike – Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it
- Swapper – Change positions on the field with your opponent
- Tornado – Sweep up the ball and cars into a giant funnel cloud
I cannot wait to try out this mode, there is a ton of party potential here.
Also with this update, we are getting an addition that I feel will be slightly controversial, just because very few people like microtransactions. Being added is a new Crate and Key system, where random crates can drop in Competitive matchers and players can purchase a key to unlock it for exclusive content. The items can then be kept or be traded to another player. Contents include import battle-cars, animated decals, and many more.
Keys can be purchased individually for $1.49 USD, or in bundles of 5, 10, or 20 for $5, $10, or $20 USD, respectively (or their regional equivalent).
Last but not least, SteamOS and Mac versions of the game will see the Beta release. Also, there will be a new Rocket Labs arena, more stadium variations, the ability to save multiple vehicle presets and more surprises!