Get ready everyone! After reading the news on this game I’m very excited to play later this year. Why you ask? This is because because AQUAPLUS’ visual novel/SRPG epics titled Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth will be arriving to the Americas and Europe in 2017.
What is the game you ask? The game Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, who is a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar and hostile wilderness. However, this male character is rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. (Personal thought while typing some of this. Makes me want to watch the many fan service ish animes I own after I publish this.) These characters will team up, and Haku will encounter colorful characters, which also includes more people with animal ears and more, build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
To me this sounds like a game I’d play! Now if you’re like me you’ll want o know what the game will feature, right? No worries, Atlus and we have you covered!
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
The games will be released in America on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in both physical and digital formats; the European PS4 version will have a physical release, but the PS Vita version will be digital-only. Mask of Deception will release in the spring, and the game’s direct sequel, Mask of Truth will release later in the year with English text and the original Japanese audio. For both games, the PS4 version will be $49.99, and the PS Vita version will be $39.99.