Nidhogg 2, the sequel to 2014’s Nidhogg, the 2D side-scrolling fighting/fencing game, now has a release date for the PlayStation 4 and PC. On August 15th, 2017 you will be able to jump back into this world with a brand new art style, full customization, and built in 8-player tournaments.This time around, there will also be four distinct weapons and ten stages that range from “castles to Nidhogg innards.” There will be 10 different game variables that allow you to tweak each match to your liking, as well as full online matchmaking with private game support.
A lot has been said about the change in art style of Nidhogg 2 as the original had a very pixealated aesthetic, and the sequel abandons that for a much more cartoon-style. Speaking with the PlayStation Blog, they explain that the main reason for the switch was to allow developer Messhof to allow for more facial expressions, outfits, range of animation, and so much more. Messhof truly believes in this art style and they think we will “enjoy this lively new world with all its visual absurdity and fun character possibilities.
- Challenge the AI or a friend in 1v1 combat.
- Fight for the top seat in 8-player tournaments.
- Master the distinctive traits of four weapons.
- Get stylish with full character customization.
- Ten stages from castles to Nidhogg innards.
- Alter the rules with over 10 different game variables.
- Go online with matchmaking and private games.